Monday, July 8, 2013

Under the Skin

I'm the first to tell you that "Classical" music is not my first love. The radio dial quickly drifts to easy listening or pop when I am in the car. I've always assumed it was an indication of my immaturity (which it very well may be) - but when we, the orchestra, gathered to rehearse the Mozart Mass in C Minor the other night I was hooked.
It caught me totally by surprise.
What hooked me was not just the music - but the insights and anecdotes that our conductor was sharing. Suddenly - knowing the why's and where's, and the who's and how's - the work took on flesh. It became a breathing, living, work that I could relate to - that I wanted to know more about. And maybe that's where the immaturity comes in. I let the easily accesible lyric or clever rhythm catch me and pull me in, and too quickly dismiss those things that require work and investment to discover.
It's worth the investment!

No comments:

Post a Comment