Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Mathias 150 - Surprised by Joy


I'm on Timpani for the concerts this weekend. I love playing - the choir is great , the church is stunning (both visually and acoustically), I'm a percussionist at heart, and I get to dress up in a tux.  What's not to like?
By the time we hit dress rehearsal I like to be ready. I do my prep. I know my music - what the piece sounds like, who plays when, major themes, etc....  I want no surprises.
My prep for this concert - the Mathias' Psalm 150 in particular -  was a real challenge. I've been away (or otherwise overwhelmed) for the last few weeks. There are no known recordings of this piece, so the usual youtube/itunes listening sessions were unavailable. All that was left to me was score study. 
I'm a very aural person. I would rather watch a movie than read a book, and would choose a conversation over an e-mail. So score study is like reading braille for me.
I came to rehearsal last night totally out of my element. I'd never heard the piece - ever!  
I knew my part. On paper I was ready - but if scores are braille - I was blind. 
Not the way I like to play.
Well......
Mathias took me on an unexpected journey. Being physically present and actively participating in my first hearing was such an immediate experience. The music was fresh - and therefore Psalm 150 itself became new and alive. I was truly surprised by joy.
Life lessons come in unexpected ways.
Embrace surprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment